We welcome prospective students and post docs!
Prospective post-docs, graduate students and undergraduate students should feel free to contact Matt Sullivan directly <email@example.com> to discuss openings and possible research projects. Some funding and other opportunities are listed below.
For general information about graduate study in the Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, see http://www.eebweb.arizona.edu/grad_info/index.htm. An alternative entry to graduate study is the Arizona Biological and Biomedical Sciences (ABBS) program, which integrates recruiting, admissions and the first-year program for five other PhD programs in biological and biomedical sciences.
Undergraduate students interested in a research project should express interest by emailing a CV to Matt Sullivan <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Funding opportunities for Graduate Studies
Below is a list of fellowships that are available for graduate studies (though there are new opportunities all the time, so doing your own search on the web is a good idea). These fellowships can be awarded prior to entry into a PhD program, and usually pay part of the total cost of tuition and stipend for a fixed period of time. The balance of the support is picked up by the Lab's research grants. For helpful advice on applying for graduate fellowships, please visit this site.
- NSF IGERT Program in Genomics at the University of Arizona
- BioME – NSF Graduate Fellows in K-12 Education program at the University of Arizona
- ASM International Fellowship Programs
- American Association of University Women
- American Meteorolgical Society Graduate Fellowships
- Chateaubriand Science Fellowship (for research in France)
- Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program
- Environmental Protection Agency STAR Fellowship
- Ford Foundation (for minorities, dissertation fellowship and predoctoral fellowship available)
- Hertz Foundation
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- NASA Graduate Student Researchers Program
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowships (DoD)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowships
- Robert D. Watkins Graduate Fellowship
- SMART (Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation) Program (DoD)
Funding opportunities for Postdoctoral Research
- PERT - Postdoctoral Excellence in Research and Teaching fellowships at the University of Arizona (Dr. Sullivan is a PERT mentor.)
- American Society for Microbiology Career Development Grants for Postdoctoral Women (for travel, etc.)
- Ford Foundation (for minorities)
- Fulbright scholarship for UK citizens to post-doc in the US
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute International Student Research Fellowships
- Life Sciences Research Foundation
- L’Oréal USA Fellowships For Women In Science
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowships
- National Institutes of Health K Awards
- The National Research Council (NRC) Research Associateship Program (through NIH)
- National Science Foundation - Ocean Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
- National Science Foundation - Postdoctoral Fellowships in Biology
- National Science Foundation - full list of postdoctoral fellowships
- NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- David H. Smith Conservation Research Fellowship Program
- Marine Biology at the University of Arizona - a listing of courses, faculty, clubs, etc.
- The Consortium for Ocean Leadership lists a variety of internships, fellowships and other programs.
Recommended summer grad courses elsewhere:
These are ideal early grad school summer experiences for the interested student.
- CMOP Undergraduate Interships (Center of Coastal Margin Observation & Prediction, Oregon Health & Science University)
- Hopkins Microbiology Course (Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford University)
- Microbial Diversity (Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole)
- Microbial Oceanography: Genomes to Biomes (University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, held at Honolulu)
- Scripps Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) (Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego)
- Workshop on Molecular Evolution (Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole)