Postdoctoral Associate , Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
Jennifer arrived January 2010 from the University of Hawai‘i where her PhD included examination of viral impacts on organic matter cycling, viral communities in a hypersaline lake, and the development of new approaches to separate and identify aquatic viruses. At TMPL, she is currently working on several projects including: (i) studying viral ecology and metagenomics in the Southern Ocean through her NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship in Polar Regions Research, (ii) developing targeted viral metagenomics methods to specifically examine the genomes of wild viruses that contain genes of interest, and (iii) examining morphological traits of viruses in the global oceans through the Tara Ocean Expedition.
- 2009: Ph.D. (Oceanography) University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 2003: M.S. (Oceanography) University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 2001: B.S. (Marine Science, minor in Chemistry) Hawaii Pacific University
Honors & Awards
- 2013 Outstanding Mentor Award, Undergraduate Biology Research Program, University of Arizona
- 2012 Outstanding Early Career Scientist Poster, Marine Microbes Gordon Research Conference
- 2010 National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship in Polar Regions Research
- 2008 Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Scholarship in Oceanography
- 2006 Outstanding Student Paper Award, Ocean Sciences Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Brum, JR, JJ Morris, M Décima, MM Stukel. (in press) Mortality in the oceans: causes and consequences. Eco-DAS Symposium Proceedings chapter, ASLO (64 pgs).
- Brum, JR, RO Schenck, MB Sullivan. (2013) Global morphological analysis of marine viruses shows minimal regional variation and dominance of non-tailed viruses. The ISME Journal 7:1738-1751.
- Brum, JR, AI Culley, GF Steward. (2013) Assembly of a marine viral metagenome after physical fractionation. PLoS ONE 8(4):e60604.
- Brum, JR, GF Steward. (2011) Physical fractionation of aquatic viral assemblages. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 9:150-163.
- John, SG, CB Mendez, L Deng, B Poulos, AKM Kauffman, S Kern, J Brum, MF Polz, EA Boyle, MB Sullivan. (2011) A simple and efficient method for concentration of ocean viruses by chemical flocculation. Environmental Microbiology Reports 3:195-202.
- Brum, JR, GF Steward. (2010) Morphological characterization of viruses in the moderately hypersaline, stratified Mono Lake. Microbial Ecology 60:636-643.
- Brum, JR, GF Steward, SC Jiang, R Jellison (2005) Spatial and temporal variability of prokaryotes, viruses, and viral infections of prokaryotes in an alkaline, hypersaline lake. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 41:247-260.
- Brum, JR. (2005) Concentration, production, and turnover of viruses and dissolved DNA pools at Station ALOHA, North Pacific Subtropical Gyre. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 41:103-113.
- Brum, JR, GF Steward, DM Karl. (2004) A novel method for the measurement of dissolved deoxyribonucleic acid in seawater. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 2:248-255.
- Dore, JE, JR Brum, LM Tupas, DM Karl. (2002) Seasonal and interannual variability in sources of nitrogen supporting export in the oligotrophic subtropical North Pacific Ocean. Limnology and Oceanography 47:1595-1607.
Publications submitted or in preparation
- Brum, JR, BL Hurwitz, HW Ducklow, MB Sullivan. (in review) Seasonal time bombs: In Progress Dominant temperate viruses affect Southern Ocean microbial dynamics. Nature.
- Hurwitz, BL, A Westvald, JR Brum, MB Sullivan. (in review) Complete and unbiased network-enabled comparative metagenomics identifies marine viral community ecological drivers. PNAS.
- Not, F, S Pesant, M Picheral, S Kandels-Lewis, N Le Bescot, S Searson, C Dimier, J Poulain, S Romac, H Le Goff, M Carmichael, J Decelle, J-B Romagnan, I Ferrera, H Sarmento, C Clerissi, L Subirana, JR Brum, L Guidi, F Roullier, L Berline, J Ras, L Bittner, I Probert, S Colin, S Tozzi, N Poulton, J-P Gattuso, U Krzic, L Karp-Boss, C Sardet, S Sunagawa, J Raes, O Jaillon, P Wincker, M Sieracki, E Boss, S Speich, T Pierre, F D'ortenzio, L Stemmann, NH Grimsley, P Hingamp, D Iudicone, EG Reynaud, MB Sullivan, SG Acinas, H Ogata, C Bowler, C de Vargas, G Gorsky, E Karsenti, E Bourgois. (in review) The Tara Oceans Expedition: A comprehensive sampling of marine plankton biota in their environmental context. PLoS ONE.
- Hurwitz, BL, JR Brum, MB Sullivan. (in preparation) Depth stratified functional and taxonomic niche specialization in the ‘core’ and ‘flexible’ Pacific Ocean Virome.
Jenn was at Palmer Station for the antarctic summer 2010-11.